Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update on "Coming To Water" and a new WIP

Page 8 of 16 of "Coming to Water" is finished and I'm pretty happy with it. Half way done!!!


Coming to Water - page 8 finished

Oh...and I became a self proclaimed "part time parker". After all that discussion I had about parking, I thought I would give it another try. Can't hurt can't it? And I tried it the way I was told it should be done. By going down with a color and having often several of one color going. And I can assure you - that drives me completely nuts. That's not for me, scroll rod and floor stand or not. I admire everyone who has the patience of dealing with all these threads...but it doesn't work for me.
However - with the method I was following one thing took a bit more time. Some colors are easy to find and finish off, others take quite a bit of time to find the stitches on the chart. And I tend to go on with a thread by looking for the little buggers until the thread is finished. Parking these little buggers where I need them next time instead of searching all over the chart does save time.
Basically I park - but take the threads with me the direction I go. I don't park short threads or colors that go in the "wrong direction" Often I stitch more then one square per color - which helps me also preventing having too much threads in one square And above everything, I don't put any rules on me but park or not as I feel at that very moment.
All by all that helped again speeding it up.

And I will start this week my first HAED designs. I fell in love with "Manhattan Wonderland" the very first time I saw this work of Jane Wooster Scott. It's the biggest design I ever started with a whopping 400 x 504 stitches to go.

20 comments:

Nancy M said...

Great progress on coming to water! Half done is fantastic!!! I am in the same ball park with you and parking, I have tried and doesn't really work for me....I have found keeping LOTS of needles threaded with the symbols and keep them in the top of my floss box saves me a TON of time threading and unthreading the floss. Maybe when you start your HAED, we can keep each other going, I haven't worked on mine for quite some time. And it's taking a back seat to the baby stuff at this time!

Annie Bee said...

I am afraid I am not a parker. I did try it once and just got completely lost. How exciting getting ready for your new start. I can't wait to see pics.

Carolyn NC said...

Coming to Water is fantastic! Can't wait to see your progress on your HAED! I'll bet it's a fun stitch!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're really getting along nicely on Coming to Water! It's stunning, and I like your HAED choice too.

Sadie said...

Very nice stitching Gabi, and I love your HAED.

Diane (di) said...

My goodness you are making some serious progress on Coming to Water and I tip my hat to anyone who can park threads. Tried that once... did not go well. lol Gabi, how could you post a pic of Manhattan Wonderland??!? I keep staring at it and that's not good for my wallet or my rotation! It's absolutely gorgeous. As self-proclaimed BAP Queen you'll have plenty of company and I can't wait to see MW wips!!

Mich said...

Die "coming to water" wordt echt wel een heel mooi werk.

En ik ben nu al benieuwd naar de vorderingen op je nieuwe HAED. Het is een mooi patroon. Veel plezier ermee !!

Wat dat "parking of threads" betreft, het werkt ook niet voor mij, en ik zie er eerlijk gezegd niet echt het nut van in, draad in de naald, draad uit de naald, dat moet toch een eeuwigheid duren? Ik vind het alvast veel gemakkelijker om die draden gewoon op te naaien ;-))

Carissa said...

Gabi, Water is looking gorgeous! I haven't tried "parking" yet, but I think I might as I work on my L&L Angel.

Good luck on the HAED!

Rene la Frog said...

Coming to Water just look better and better with each update. Parking confuses me too and I gave up on trying it.

Your new project is lovely and can't wait to see your start on it.

Meari said...

Gabi -- I'm really enjoying the progress on CTW. It looks great!

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Coming to water is GORGEOUS!!!

Mel said...

Coming to water is looking great.
Can't wait to see your progress on your new HAED. :)

Kathy said...

WOW. Coming to Water is fabulous!! Half done already. It seem like it was only a week ago that you were starting it. And that HAED design is spectacular. If ever I was tempted that one would do it. Especially since I work in manhattan. :)

Unknown said...

Great stitching! Your HAED looks like a really nice pattern.
Heidi-ILCS

Unknown said...

Looking really good! I hate parking. I would rather use the time stitching then thread up loads of needles lol.

LadyV said...

"Coming to the Water" is a wonderful piece and you are definitely at the point where it is so motivating to keep stitching...The finish is in sight.

You have much patience; the HAED is fantastic and will be gorgeous when completed.

Vee (http://brokenneedle.typepad.com)

Cindy F. said...

Wow girl! Look at the beautiful progress on "Coming to Water"! It's gorgeous!!
I love your HAED choice:)

Debbie Jo said...

Coming To Water is coming along so very nicely. Will be watching for your next projects to come to life.

Carolyn's Crafts said...

Gosh the Coming to Water is beautiful! I see you have it gridded. Did you use a pen? or thread? Gridding scares me! I cant wait to see your HAED WIP! :)

Carolyn's Crafts said...

Gosh the Coming to Water is beautiful! I see you have it gridded. Did you use a pen? or thread? Gridding scares me! I cant wait to see your HAED WIP! :)