Friday, April 22, 2011

Amsterdam update and other things :)

As said last time...I lost a color for Amsterdam. In addition to that I ran out of a color. Which never happened to me before. And no answer to any of my emails from Thea Gouverneur or whoever works for her. That they don't do a thing of a lost color, ok, that's my fault, but running out of a color already, that's rather uncommon. And shouldn't happen for a rather pricey kit.
To say that I wasn't thrilled is the understatement of the year. But then I thought...I don't have the time nor the patience for that type of negativity in my life.




I still thank the day where I bought a DMC color card with real thread. I sat down (for 2 days!!!) and matched each and every of the 124 colors (125=braid) After that it was easy to determine the missing color. It had to be DMC 640 or 642. 642 was another symbol already so it had to be DMC 640. Phew.
Oh...couple of days later  I found the missing color back...LOL. Doesn't take away I ran out of DMC 839 though.

If anyone stitching this design ever runs out of a color and into the same problem of non existing customer service, give me a shout. I'll be able to help..lol...I matched them all.



Enough of that....I managed to put a few stitches in it and will enjoy the rest of this beautiful design


There was one thing that really brightened up my day: a darling ornament sent to my by Elisa. Her stitching and finishing are just gorgeous. LOVE it. I was her partner in the Hooked on Exchange Quaker ornament round and was very lucky she got my name. :)

A Snowman Quaker Christmas
Designer Midnight Stitching
Stitched by Elisa


My ornament went to Anne, whose favorite color is blue :)
Taken from Quaker Scissorpocket
Designer: Barbara Bernard
Fabric: 32ct Belfast Country Cream
Thread: Threadworx 

Lastly, I stitched a little design and am for once clueless how to finish it. Normally things do "speak" to me and while doing I find somehow the way of finishing, embellishments etc. But this one refuses to do so. I love it, but don't know how to finish it.
Do you know normally before hand how to finish something, or do you keep it a bit open like me and things "speak" to you as well? Or am I just plain crazy....lol.

Among the Berries
Designer: Homespun Elegance
Fabric: 35ct DMC linen
Threads: Threadworx, Gentle Art, Crescent Colors and a tad of DMC

21 comments:

Maggie said...

What a bummer running out of thread, not very good customer service from the designer either, it's good job you had the paitence to sort all the colours out!!

Love your exchange peices :-) I'm afraid i'm no help with how to finish off you lovely peice, completly clueless when it comes to ideas of finishing, lol

Have a good weekend

Brigitte said...

It's a pity that you have such problems with this kit. It's a wonderful kit and there should be a much better customer service.
Both exchnage pieces look really great.
I often have a hard time to think of the appropriate finishing for my projects. That's why I usually put them into my finished-drawer and wait for some sort of enlightenment, lol.

Bertie said...

Bad customer service Gabi, TG never gives the colour numbers. Persevere with them though until they get the message:)) I have a feeling she uses Anchor.
Your ornaments are lovely and Amongst the Berries is so cute:))
Happy Easter.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh golly that is time consuming to figure out the color...
But it is looking lovely!
And your ornaments exchanged...GORGEOUS work!
Love the "Among the berries" darling finish!

Emily in NC said...

Nice ornaments, and the little sheep pattern is cute as well. Pillow maybe?? Sorry to hear about all the woes with Amsterdam, may you have no more. It is looking great.

Meari said...

Amsterdam looks really great, Gabi. It's pretty disappointing that someone from TG didn't get back to you about the floss.

I'm glad you were able to figure out the colors with the DMC chart. I have one, too, and use it often. It's so much better with the real floss!

Your exchange pieces are really nice.

When I stitch something, I usually know ahead of time how I'm going to finish it off. There have been a few times I didn't, and they end up in a drawer. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often. Good luck with figuring yours out. :)

Nancy M said...

That certainly does take all the fun out of stitching, doesn't it?? Glad you got it all worked out, although it was without the help of the kit maker! How disappointing for such an expensive kit. I think I would keep bombarding them with emails even though you have the problem fixed. Love the ornie you gave and received. I have the little snow guy saved, of course it's not stitched yet. Is the finish you have the right size for a tin or box top???

Sandy In Montana said...

Beautiful stitching, Gabi.

I'm happy that you were able to get your thread dilemma worked out. It's terrible that the customer service is so bad for such a pricey kit.

Take Care & Happy Stitching
Hugs, Sandy

Unknown said...

All the stitching is beautiful.
Shame on bad customer support by TG!

mdgtjulie said...

Hi Gabi. I'm new to your blog, so I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm Julie, from Cincinnati, OH and I found your blog through Nancy M's blog. I love your Amsterdam. I have a color card too, and it's invaluable!! Glad you were able to get so much mileage out of yours!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Glad you got it sorted! It is a beautiful picture, definitely worth the trouble of matching the thread.
IRO finishes - I can't sew so I frame everything! I have a stash of frames picked up cheaply and hope the right frame will jump out for each piece!

MaryT said...

Really pretty, glad you didn't let it bother you and managed to match the colors.

Mary Louise

Carol said...

Amsterdam is looking wonderful, Gabi--so sorry to hear about the missing color. Good detective work on your part to figure out the problem.

Your blue ornament is so pretty (I'm a blue lover, too) and the little sheep and birds in the HE piece are darling.

Carolyn NC said...

Interesting about the color you ran out of...does she have a blog where you can leave a comment? Love the exchange pieces and your finish. Amsterdam is looking beautiful!

Sally said...

A gorgeous finish. Love the little sheep :)

The ornaments both sent and received are lovely.

That is not good service at all re your running out of thread. Your WIP looks fantastic.

Shelley said...

You are not the 1st person that I've heard having a problem with threads and getting ahold of Thea. It has turned me away from her patterns unfortunately.

Your exchange pieces look beautiful.

I usually know before I start a piece as to how I am going to finish it off. But every once in awhile when I am stitching a piece I change my mind and then when it is finished I see what the piece says to me :)

Anne Marieke said...

Glad to hear you've got the problem sorted, Gabi!

It is all very well trying to protect the copyright of your designs, but when people who actually bought the kit don't get any help, that's really bad.

I've heard more tales about problems with kits by TG. I have three in my stash. Fingers crossed!

Love the ornaments and your cute sheep project. A box top such as suggested by Nancy sounds like a great idea. Now to find the perfect box :o)

Nancy in IL said...

Gabi, a visit to your blog is always a delight. Your finishes are perfection, and I am enjoying seeing the progress of Amsterdam; what an awesome project, and your fingers are flying on it! So sorry for all the problems with the floss. Can't believe such a pricey kit would be so troublesome, but you persevered and succeeded, bless your heart!

Thanks for a lovely visit!

Giovanna said...

Kudos to you for your patience! Glad you found a solution to your problems, though it would have been nicer to have an answer from TG. Fabulous stitching!

Siobhán said...

Gorgeous work!! Both on the finish and your Amsterdam. Love the exchanges, too!

I'm sorry to hear about such shoddy customer service--or lack thereof. It's really sad that it happened to a customer who paid for an expensive kit. :(

stitchin' girl said...

That's terrible running out of thread, but the piece is so beautiful!